Water Regulation & Permits
Our Water Quality Program Staff permits and inspects new, replacement, and alterations to private water systems (PWS). Private water systems include: wells, cisterns, springs, and ponds.
Private Water System Permits & Inspection
Private water systems, including wells, cisterns, and ponds used for drinking water are regulated by the Ohio Private Water Systems Regulations (Ohio Administrative Code 3701-28). A permit must be issued by the health department prior to installing or altering a private water system. New systems are inspected and then tested for safe drinking water. Samples may also be taken from existing water supplies where owners are concerned about water quality.
The Environmental Health Staff of the Holmes County Health District provide education and enforcement of public health laws and rules to protect the citizens of Holmes County and to protect the water sources.
How To Obtain A Permit To Construct Or Alter A Water Well:
There are two ways to obtain a permit to construct a new water well or alter an existing well:
- An application for a permit to construct a new water well or alter an existing well can be obtained in person by the property owner from the Division of Environmental Health Services located at the Holmes County General Health District, or you may click the link below to print out the application.
- Request the permit be obtained by the registered private water system contractor contracted to do the work.
Please be sure to include directions to the property.
A late fee of $30.00 will be added if application is made after the work is completed, except in the event any work is conducted in the case of an emergency.
Other inspections include:
- Water sample collection
- Real Estate Inspections- Holmes County does not currently require that a PWS be inspected before a home is sold. However, it is highly recommended that a buyer obtains an evaluation of the PWS before purchase.
- Registration of water system contractors through the State of Ohio.
- Investigation of private water system issues
Please contact the Environmental Health Division at 330-674-8422
Links & Downloadable Resources
85 N. Grant Street, Suite B,
Millersburg, OH 44654
PO Box 272, Millersburg, OH 44654
Phone: (330) 674-5035
Fax: (330) 674-2528